Saturday, December 5, 2015

"Finding balance!"

"Finding balance" (5/50)

“Life is a balance of holding on and letting go” (~ Rumi)

Holding onto what’s important and letting go of what is not…
Holding onto what is true to your personal journey and letting go of what no longer serves you…

The newest painting in my “50 to 50 Challenge” is titled “Finding Balance” and is #5/50.

It was inspired by the stacks of rocks I saw by the sea a few years ago and my own personal quest for balance in my everyday life.  

I love these rock totems!  I first saw them en mass on one of our vacations a few years ago.  My family and I were  walking along a winding beach path when we came across stone towers of all sizes and configurations!  They filled the entire shore line!  It was truly a beautiful, moving, magical sight!  My family and I added our own totems to the bunch.   We have seen similar gatherings of rock totems in the woods, mountains, beaches, valleys, desserts.  I see them as little reminders of the importance of finding balance in our lives and that we are not alone in this pursuit.  Since that first spotting, I have started collecting small rocks and stones from my travels. 

I believe the need to find balance is part of human nature.  We are designed to seek balance and  homeostasis.  But seeking and finding balance can be difficult, especially this time of year.  There are so many demands on our time, pulling us in different directions.  It’s easy to feel off-balance and overwhelmed.  Just when we think we’ve found a good balance, things change and it’s time to move some stones around and re-balance our tower.  We may try taking some stones away, stacking our stones in a different order, moving our totem to a new location, or simply starting over with a whole new stack.  We may need to seek out quiet moments to regain our balance.  We may need to re-arrange priorities.  Our circumstances are always changing.  We need to remember that it’s okay to re-arrange our rocks and if our stones should fall to the ground, it’s okay to pick them up and start over.  I am learning that balance is found moment by moment, day by day.  May you find beauty and balance in your daily life!

Love,

Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment